Second Lieutenant of the 2nd Regiment Light Infantry, Company Carabinieri Naples Kingdom 1813-1815
With the Decree Number 4 passed on the 16 February 1806, King Giuseppe Bonaparte instituted the formation of two Regiments of the Light Infantry. It was decreed that these Regiments would wear a dark blue uniform in a style similar to those of the French Regiments and would support the foreign Regiment "Real Corso", who were already formed during the Reign of Napoli. Carlo Filangieri was the Colonel commanding the 2nd Light Regiment. This Regiment was officially formed on 27 May 1806 from ex "Light Infantryman of the City" Bourbon with yellow uniforms. They were charged with the responsibility of maintaining public order in the City of Naples. With the ascension of Gioacchino Murat to the throne of Naples in 1808, this Regiment was elevated in importance and received new found responsibilities. The Decree of 16 February 1813 saw the restructuring of the Neapolitan Light Infantry, adding another quarter Regiment to it. At the same time the Regiment "Real Corso" changed its name to the 1st Regiment. The Regimental colours were black for the 1st Regiment, yellow for the 2nd Regiment, crimson amarantha for the 3rd Regiment and a loaded orange for the 4th Regiment. Every Light Infantry Regiment was organisded in Battalions composed of Companies of Carabinieri, Voltigeurs and Fusiliers. The Carabinieri Company equates to the Grenadiers of the Line. They wore large busbys of dark fur and red dark fur with red epaulettes.
Sculptor: Maurizio Bruno.
Research & Text: Marco Giuliani.
Thanks to Marcello Marrone for the documentation.