English Grenadier 18th Foot – 1751
From 1751, the British infantry regiments were made up of one or sometimes two battalions. Each battalion had nine to thirteen companies. The Grenadier company was formed by the tallest and strongest men in the battalion. On parade , Grenadiers were placed on the right side, in battle they had the task of leading the attacks. It wasn’t unusual for several battalions of the Grenadier Companies to be aggregated to form independent units.
The 18th regiment was formed in 1684 and called “Earl of Granard’s Foot Regiment” from independent companies in Ireland, and their nickname was “Paddy’s Blackguards”. The Regiment fought in Ireland under the command of King William III from the Battle of the Boyne to the fall of Limerick. Then they served the fleet, with the task of Marines. In 1695, the Regiment was awarded the title of Royal Regiment of Ireland and was able to bear the color "Royal Blue" on the flag and uniforms thanks to their performance during the assault of the castle of Namur in Flanders, where they earned the first Battle of Honours awarded in the British Army, and the consequent Motto" Virtutis Namurcensis Premium -the award for valour at Namur.
During the Spanish Civil War (1701 - 1714), the regiment served with honour . They fought in Schellenburg and in Blenheim in 1704, in Ramilies in 1706, and Oudenarde and Lisle in 1708, in Malplaquet and Tournay in 1709 and Bouchain in 1711.
In July 1751 they became the “18th Regiment on Foot” known as Royal Irish.
Mitre cap body is in red cloth stiffened by a gauze lining with two vertical white lines on the back, at the base there is a band of the regimental colour (Royal blue) with a flaming white grenade in the centre flanked by spirals in white thread. The front is in the regimental colour surrounded by white borders . There is a golden royal crown in the centre on a red background and a golden Irish harp and all is bordered by spiral-shaped branches in white thread .On the bottom there is a red strip embroidered with the white horse of Hannover bordered with the motto “Nec Aspera Terrent” written in white between two white borders, and a green and yellow cord at the bottom.The top of the hat has a blue and white bobble.
Jacket- Red with royal blue cuffs and frogs (white with wavy blue centre) , tin buttons.
Waistcoat- edged with red regimental frog.
Trousers - Royal Blue.
Gaiters- White material with black buttons and black garters.
Shoes - black leather.
Equipment - black leather with across shoulder strap and belt in natural leather, brass buckles.
Bayonet and sword - iron with black leather sheath and brass ferrule.
Rifle- wooden, barrel in steel, other metal parts in brass, natural leather strap.
Sculptor Maurizio Bruno
Painter Danilo Cartacci
Historical note Marco Lambertucci