Cross license (or Croix Pattee), or the cross arms equal, considered a development specification that inscribed in a circle that allude to the symbolism of the Eucharistic Bread and is used as decoration or as a heraldic symbol. This type of cross took on a special significance among the Knights Templars who used it as a symbol of their order. It took the title of "license" when, by decision of the chapter in the April 27, 1147, was granted by Pope Eugenius III, with a contingent of Templars, led by Everard of Barres, Master of Paris, the Master's of Spain and France sent to the aid of Louis VII in the Second Crusade.
This episode that will mark the identification with the Knights Templar crusaders.
The cross of the Templars, represents the passion of Christ, in classic form the toes spread out to cup and end with the upper edge straight, very rarely the right edge takes on a slightly concave forked.
The red cross was worn by the Templars, but not on the chest under the heart on the shoulder of the coat or tunic, white knights and black for the sergeants to the left because it acted as a shield.
The cross flow so mean, besides the shield, including the commitment "to bring this triumphant sign serves them as a shield and they do not ever Voltino shoulders handle any infidel."
The cross placed on the flag or the Baussant (Banner) but was always red on white and black.
Research and text: Fabrizio Fraschetti
Sculptor: G. La Rocca
Painter: Diego Ruina